A safety inspection looks for safety hazards and unsafe practices throughout a facility.
The inspection should
- Determine whether safeguards are in place
- Examine whether the equipment presents any hazards
- Gather air, water, and other samples to test for hazardous substances
- Observe work practices to identify unsafe actions
- Once recognized, any hazards present can be rectified, eliminated, or accounted for.
A safety audit evaluates safety programs and practices within an organization.
Employers conducting an audit should:
- Measure and collect information about a safety program’s reliability and effectiveness
- Look at whether a safety program meets the company’s stated goals
- Examine safety training and response efforts